Friday, May 2, 2008

Recipe Review: Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole

One of the first dishes I made from eatingwell.com was the Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole with some chicken dish I don't remember which because this side stole the show. Now, I'm not really fond of spicy foods despite my Southern upbringing. So, I left out the jalapenos, but if you like that sort of thing, go right ahead and make them. MSH asked for seconds, and thirds. I was a little reluctant to make this because I was unsure about the combination of squash and salsa, but MSH said, "Woman, salsa goes with everything!" So, I made it.

If I hadn't, I would have missed out on a delicious side dish. The cheese and salsa are a classic combination, but the squash adds a freshness and a lightness that keeps the dish from sitting in the bottom of your tummy like a rock. And, the salsa wakes up the standard, sometimes boring squash casserole. It is a little time intensive, but if you have time to prepare and bake, it's a great side dish that'll knock your family's socks off.

Sorry, no photos of this one; I haven't made it in a while. This week was filled with leftovers and standards that I've posted before. Tomorrow we're heading into the city to guide Dr. Hoover and his family; his wife and sons are coming up to visit. Also, I found a new store today while out to lunch with my boss and office mate--Zara. My boss bought this shirt that I would have gotten had she not snapped it up first. I may have to go back and get and make sure that I never wear it to work. I may have created a shopping monster!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes that recipe sounds fantastic!! Thank you for sharing! (I'm a new reader, and I love the clothes you bought in that post a few posts down--very nice!).

Amy

SuzyQSparkles said...

It's so funny about not wearing it to work. My hubby says guys think it's cool when they have/wear the same thing... that is if they even notice it.

Me? Today I was thinking of making a little chart and putting in my closet... with the places I go and my outfits. Then, marking when I wear something somewhere. I've been trying to reduce the number of clothes I have to just a few good looking ones that make me feel good, but what I'm noticing is that I wear the same few outfits a lot and then I wonder if I wore them last time I saw so-and-so or went to a certain group. Am I the only one who worries about this kind of thing?

Thanks for visiting my blog. I thought it was funny when I stumbled on you (from a comment you left on Pioneer Woman) because 6 of the 10 links to other pages on your blog, yeah, I go to them too!

I think we may be long lost friends or something. :D