Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Dinner Disaster

As I've mentioned, I love to cook. I believe that I'm pretty good at it and quickly becoming a foodie (or maybe I'm becoming a gourmet). Last night, however, my performance in the kitchen was less than stellar, less than lackluster even, and I'm quite upset about it.

I made Chicken with Sugar Snap Peas & Spring Herbs and roasted baby red potatoes with crushed rosemary. All of it was AWFUL. It was so bad, I almost cried. MSH was reluctant for me to make the chicken entree, believing, correctly, that the combination of the sauce, peas, and artichokes would not be good. The simple sauteed chicken and sauce were fine, but adding the peas and artichokes was not a good idea at all. The flavors did not compliment each other in the slightest nor did the textures harmonize.

To compound the problem, I did not roast the potatoes long enough, so they were crunchy. The flavor of the potato with olive oil and crushed rosemary was wonderful, and my entire home smelled so good, but the crunch of raw potato was impossible to ignore. MSH tried to make me feel better by complimenting my presentation and technique, and we did eat it. However, neither of us enjoyed it. I'm so ashamed.

Luckily, there was a little (OK, not so little, more like 1/4) of the Peach Crisp with Maple Cream Sauce left from Sunday for dessert to serve as my redemption for the evening. Even after finishing the dessert, I have left over Maple Cream Sauce. I could serve it over ice cream or put it in my coffee or eat it like dessert soup or pour it over pancakes or add it to oatmeal--I could keep going, but I'm getting a little light-headed. Maybe I should just pour it down the drain so I don't wind up weighing 500 pounds. Dear God, please lead me not into temptation.

I'll post another, hopefully positive, recipe review on Friday.

No comments: